Saturday 16 May 2009

My 5 Penguin Points

What am I most talking about at the minute??
1.Staal-Redundant luxury!
That’s right, you heard me. I’m unsure how Shero thinks he can take a team to the cup with three high value centres…surely we can forgo the depth for now! If Shero was tryong to do what I think he was then with JS now signing an extension his market value has certainly shot up and it gives us that little more to play with. For now….in Shero we trust!

2.Missing the window of opportunity
We’ve all heard the line…the Pens are built to win now! My worry being that the window is slowly fogging, that fogging is the dream of the perfect winger slowly drifting away. Sure we have some solid potential on their way down such as Pierro-Zabotel and Jeffrey but they are far from ready yet! I’m not talking Kovalchuk here…I’m not sure the fit would be there (the cap definitely wouldn’t) My top three choices to mix it up are:1. Brad Boyes2. Martin St. Louis (more on this later!?)3. Nathan Horton

3.Shanny???
As I was only saying a few months ago to my good pal Shanwings, word on the block was Shero was after Shanny. He was reported to be walking around with a glint in his eye leading people to believe there was some covert bargaining going on. I’m sure Shanwings won’t mind me stealing his words on the matter… “He would provide a lot of Robert’s grit with a bit more of a scoring touch. The thing is yes they are pressed for cap but the longer the season goes on the less of a hit he would be AND he has made his money…I think he would give a discount out to a team he thought he could win with.” The role he would take within both the powerplay and the locker room would undoubtedly suit them!

4. Mr ‘I do exactly what I say on the tin’ Zigomanis
Who would have thought it…certainly not me. The man has single handed brought something to the Pens that I believe no other roster member had the power to do. He impressed me from the get go, winning draws, doing his thing on the PK…unsung hero indeed! But aside from this the most important element of Mike Zigomanis is he does exactly what he says he will do…no showboating, he knows what he excels in…the real deal. As I have heard from many Pens followers of late…his presence certainly was influential and it is showing very much now in his absence.

5. I thought David Pagnotta had gone crazy when I read that…
When I read David Pagnotta’s article on the fourthperiod.com entitled Penguins’ New Year wish: A winger for Sidney I swear my jaw fell like a piece of lead. Mr Pagnotta explores the idea of Martin St. Louis coming to the Penguins, did I ever think that would be feasible? In short the answer is no. Even at the end of the article when he states,
Now, it’s unlikely we’ll see this move happen in the next week or two, but as we inch closer to the trade deadline, I wouldn’t be surprised if these two teams hook up and pull the trigger.”
You wouldn’t be surprised????…well I certainly would…I thought Vinny kept Marty in shackles somewhere in the depths of St. Pete’s!?
In all seriousness, I would welcome Marty with open arms; there’s no denying his talent, heart, speed! Pagnotta goes into the details of a St.Louis deal eg. Still having two years beyond this season left on his contract, 5 Pens players coming up as UFA’s come summer, moving Staal as part of the deal, St.Louis having to waive his no-trade clause. Fair play to this guy because if you were trying to sell me a new car I’ve already signed on the red dotted line!!!!

So that’s what I am mostly talking about at the moment to anyone who will lend me an ear! I’m keen to hear reactions to these as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment