Saturday 16 May 2009

26 Reasons Not to Take My Shirt Off

…figuratively speaking of course!

As I enter my 27th year of life tomorrow I’ve been reflecting on the last year…the last year of hockey anyway. I’ll be more specific and say I’ve been reflecting on the Penguins year.
With this is mind I decided to challenge myself to think of 26 reasons to still have faith in the Penguins…despite a perennially disappointing season thus far.
This was tougher than I thought and has taken me the best part of the day with a notebook shoved in bag…

1.Sid
Let’s get Sid out the way first (I know you would want him to be the top reason!) As everyday goes by I dislike Sidney more and more. Mostly due to the ‘I –have-a-software-full-of-perfectly-tempered-sound-bites’ attitude. I cannot however fault him greatly on the ice…he delivers even under the overinflated expectations.

2. Lange
There was a board here the other day about Mike Lange. What can I say, the guy keeps me going when I can’t catch a game. I may even start a ‘Down with Steigy’ campaign.

3.Recruits
I can’t abandon my recruits to the game. I’ve worked so hard to turn them all into Penguins and Devils fans!!

4.Nocturnal I am
British hockey fan=tired eyes, erratic sleeping patterns and poor concentration the next day. I’m just getting into a nice nocturnal routine I’m not about to throw it away…

5.Kris Letang
What can you say, he must have been disappointed to be a healthy scratch for those three games. He did, however, need and deserve it. Kris…you’re a defenseman in case you hadn’t noticed! By golly did it put the rocket up him though, the road trip has been amazing for him…4pts in 4 games!

6.MAF and Flower Power
After my comment the other week about him being a ‘funky yo-yo’ and messing with my head and my stomach (because of his inconsistency) I am now pleased to say I no longer feel the need to spew every time I watch. Since the All-Star break he’s improved to 12-4-2…the guy clearly works better under pressure!

7.I hate them!
There are no other teams that I hold a strong dislike for…that’s right…not even the Flyers. I think, therefore, I can feel comfortable with my choice. I don’t feel the need to dress up in another outfit.

8.Chocolate Penguins
Would I honestly ever lose faith in a team that has a chocolate biscuit of the same name…I don’t think so!

9.Guerin
I love him and I barely know him. I’m hoping that he can act as a mentor to all the younger players…but in particular #11. Cone on Staal, we know you got the size and the skill now step it up…let’s start on the powerplay!

10.Shoes
Like an old pair of shoes, they are comfortable, reliable and stared at by all! Ok…so the reliability factor still needs to be worked on…

11.Unsung heroes
They keep me going. I love talking about the guys no-one else does: Thomas; Zigomanis; Scuderi…the guys who do exactly what they say on the packet! Highlight for me this season…(no not another Malkin assist!)…Thomas almost getting a goal on a semi breakaway at against Anaheim back in January. Damn you Giguere!

12.Football, Rounders, Cricket??
How else would I spend my time?

13.Therrien vs Bylsma
Therrien almost tipped me over the edge..I’ll be honest! The guy was incredibly negative and his systems were far too rigid. While he played his part for sure…Bylsma is giving me hope. For the immediate future if nothing else!

14.Steel City connection
I was born in a steel town, my father works in the steel industry, my favourite EIHL team are the Steelers….what can I say I love me some metal!

15.Shero I love you! I hate you!
Ray Shero managed to partially redeem himself by the trade deadline for me. Am I the only one who thinks he came up trumps with the Kunitz, but more importantly Tangradi, deal for Whitney?! I said my goodbye’s to Ryan Whitney months ago. So it came as no great shock! I can feel it that Tangradi’s future will be a great one…and I will stick my neck out and say it will be the most valuable acquisition of the season. I now feel I can go back to using the line (until the offseason at least) ‘In Shero we trust!’

16.Ovie –From behind my sofa
It gives me an extra reason to continue my love hate relationship with that loveable rogue!

17.Malkin
Undeniably demure, momentarily outstanding! The other most beautiful sight for me of the season was Malkin flinging his stick across the ice in celebration after a 4-3 win in overtime against Tampa Bay. The award for most heartfelt celebrations goes to…Geno! Well that and the award for most improved linguist using a Berlitz phrase book.

18.Surprises
I like surprises (to an extent). This one came in the form of a box decorated with gold Bylsma ribbon, deadline tape, black Gonchar wrapping paper, a flutter of white injury free glitter. What was inside?? A 1.9 powerplay percentage increase. Woohoo!

19.Caputi-hope
If the guy gets stronger and works hard on that skating I’ll be excited to see what he does in the next year. I see another Kennedy scenario in the midst…

20.Teamwork and Chemistry
I’m attributing the improvement to a chain of events. Bylsma, Fitzgerald, Gonchar and the temporary absence of Crosby (and maybe now the acquisition of Guerin will propel this further).

21.Mario
Need I say more…..?

22.Hossa dreamin’
I still hold an unhealthy desire for Hossa. I have to watch Wings games otherwise I get Hossa-deficiency. Anyways I still have dreams that one day Hossa will roll up at Mellon Arena crying into his gloves and begging to come back to Pittsburgh. He’s gotta go somewhere. Hey Detroit…Franzen or Hossa…you’ve got to shed someone! Go on Kenny I dare ya!!

23.Antics
The awesome antics of Fleury and Talbot are all well and good but…if Kennedy keeps licking that stick and adding somewhat of a light-hearted approach to superstition my shirt stays firmly on!

24.Money
I’ve spent far too much money on my fandom to be removing my merchandise…plain and simple!

25.Bad Memories
The memories still hang heavy. A grim reminder of what it feels like to spend the summer wearing black…I really don’t want to be back in black again this summer it is rather dull!

26.It’s far too cold……

So there you go….If you got through all that…well done because I had to take a coffee break midway through!

No comments:

Post a Comment