Sunday 24 May 2009

Christy and Ellie do Ducks vs Wings

What happens when two fans who root for teams playing as rivals in the same playoff series? Well you just know it's going to go one of two ways! Christy (C) and I (E)were able to put our differences aside, agreed not really to speak of the Penguins/Capitals series and engage in confab about a different series. Fortunately in mine and Christy's case we were joined together by the common bond of Ducky-hate and some serious Wings adoration! What follows is the edited highlights of our self indulgent banter...you have been warned!!!

April 29
E :Put your war paint on!…hahaha! I’m kinda not looking forward to this, are you? I think the hype is going to be ridiculous! We are united, however, in our wanting to punch Pronger in the face!

April 30
C: Bring it on!!! hahaha yeah…. not so much. I agree, I’m really not looking forward to this either. The hype and fans pitting against each other is really going to be insane. I apologize in advance for anything incredibly homer-ific I might say. I tend to go really overboard when I hear stupid things said about the Caps. I imagine you’ll probably hear a lot of really stupid things said about the Pens too. That’s kind of the funny thing about our two favorite teams – the fan bases are very similar but don’t want to admit it. And yes, when things really test us we’ll just have to remember that we both at least want Pronger to go down in flames hahaha.

April 30
E: Be as Homer-ific as you like…I understand! That’s so right what you say about both groups of fans. That is the reasons that most of the conversations (arguments?)that are had almost never end….far too stubborn on both sides! I, unfortunately, didn’t get to see a whole lot of the Rags/Caps series so I’m not quite sure how they’re going to come at the Pens…should I be worried about Varlamov? From what I did see he looked incredibly composed which is pretty impressive in itself given the circumstances. How much pressure can he take I suppose is the question? Amazing how a lot of these young guys come in so confident and composed…I was reading something about a player here across the pond and he said when he was younger he was completely fearless and didn’t get nervous before games, yet now he was older he was a wreck immediately before he went on the ice!
{Note to self: Write new blog….101 Reasons to Stomp on Pronger OR Chris Pronger- Wow-what-a-Cretin(Part of the Weasels on Ice Series)}


May 1
C:Varlamov.I really don’t know what to say about him… he was great against the Rangers but they really don’t have much of an offense. Avery tried his best to get at him but it didn’t bother him at all so I’m not sure if crashing the net is going to be a problem for him. Seeing twice as many shots, and far more quality shots might change him though, so I’m really curious to see how he holds up against a much more offensive style.
In the Rangers series, he really was incredibly composed and mature. All the Russians I know/read say that he was incredible last year in the Russian league and that they wouldn’t really consider him a rookie given his extensive playoff experience back home. I guess we’re even though – I really didn’t see much of the Pens/Flyers series at all because they were on mostly at the same time as the Caps games. It’s certainly a different team than the Caps faced this regular season. How weird is that – the Rangers completely changed too since the Caps have played them in the regular season so they really didn’t know what to expect from them, and now from the Pens. Although from what little I saw the Pens look very similar to how they did last year.
I am liking your idea for new blogs… 101 reasons to stomp on Pronger sounds very promising. Reason number one: Get him before he gets you. Preemptive strike!


E: Definitely! Person I have been most concerned about was Huds…I’ve read far too much saying he’s going to take the payday and run! I’m keeping my fingers crossed on the Hossa thing…it’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.Speaking on Detroit/Anaheim…
Reason #2- Height is not an excuse for dirty elbows. (frickin’ Mike Brown’s been drinking whatever Pronger’s on tonight!)

May 2
C: Oh no, I haven’t heard anything about Hudler! I hope what you’re reading isn’t true. I guess if he did sign an offer sheet with another team and it was high enough, the Wings might let him walk. So true about Pronger and his size. That’s always his excuse “Not my fault I’m so big!” Yeah, I don’t see Chara swinging his elbows at everyone. Did you see Holmstrom “level” him tonight? Oh my god, that was probably one of the most pathetic dives I’ve seen in the playoffs in quite awhile. And then of course, that high hit by Brown. I’m telling you, Pronger has made it a Ducks thing. I’m keeping my eye on Kunitz tomorrow, he hasn’t been away from Anaheim long enough yet!

E: Holstrom, “level” him…lmfao!!! I saw said incident…brutal that Holstrom…just brutal! Hahaha! Have a read of these tidbits in the aftermath of Holstrom/Pronger incident and the hit on Hudler…

*“Oh and on a side note regarding the officiating, Holstrom must be a hell of a strong guy to merely nudge Pronger resulting in Pronger flying through the air like he got shot out of a cannon. Must be more of those “Pronger Physics” at play."

*“Pronger hungrily licking his lips at the sight of an elbow hit is awesome”

*“Suspend Pronger, He’ll do something stupid Sunday anyway. Go Wings!”

So I watched the 1st today and then decided to go out and grab some food…I’m such a bad fan! Maybe you can enlighten me as to what happened in the 2nd/3rd? My gut feeling was right it would seem. Penguins seemed to come out real fast and I’m presuming they then were sleepwalking to the finish line. From what I read it sounded like it wasn’t the best effort on either side. Well done anyway…one down!
It’s a totally a Ducks thing now, you’re right! Poor Ryan Whitney I need to write him a letter or something warning him of the impending doom if he continues to pair with the dirty boy! How was Kunitz in the rest of the game…did he pull out the “Ducks Guide to Mucky Hits”? He does seem to be getting the Duck out him slowly but surely I must admit….


May 3
C: Those comments are absolutely priceless. Pronger suffers from an abnormal gravitational force I think. Here’s what I think went through his head: “I can’t catch any of these little quick fuckers to deliver my patented defensive elbow, so guess I should try to draw a penalty or something”. That was pathetic, haha
And yeah, no kidding! I absolutely loved that they showed Pronger’s face after the elbow on Hudler. That was so funny, he just looked jealous that it wasn’t him. Suspend him anyway… hahaha yeah, he probably will take out Cleary next. Mark my words!


E: Hiller's Chastity Belt, huh? How exhausted was I after that…and slightly pissed off! Detroit did not look themselves at all tonight…clearly the absence of Rafalski and Draper (mysterious, no?) are taking their toll! They have to be so much better…but I think they know that! And…someone needs to put Chelios out of his misery…preferably sooner rather than later!
Interesting point made today in the news about Detroit…apparently the Wings don’t win home games in OT (with a few exceptions) historically they’re more likely to win in OT on the road…let’s hope that there are no more OT’s period. It’s time to lock the B team up and bring in the big guns….
OK, so I was watching last night and came up with not the 3 stars, but the…let’s call it…the 3 stools…
1. Hiller- If you’re going to shaft the Wings do it properly for goodness sake Jonas! Juicy rebounds my friend, juicy rebounds!
2. Pronger- His face…nuff said!
3. Hoss/Zetts- We’ll send the car…you just need to SHOW UP.

Choice quotes of the day
*“I forgot to mention I took a lip reading class a couple months ago. that ref was saying ‘I’m sorry, Henrik, but the NHL memo was very clear. You’re wearing the Red Wings logo so that’s not a penalty. Your head is fair game.’”

*“I know as fans we are prone to complain about the officiating, but for the most part I really like to believe it all evens out. But this game was one where they really were on their knees blowing both the game and Carlyle.”

*On Pang’s gang puckbunny style salivation over Getzlaf- “Poor Crosby is somewhere crying wondering why they’ve cheated on him.”

Worse than all this was the piece Larry Wigge did on Ericsson (front page nhl.com). Now I make no secret of my little obsession with Ericsson, my eyes follow him all over the ice, so I was understandably spitting feathers when Wigge dared to compare him to Pronger…er..excuse me! Pronger isn’t even worthy to lace Ericsson’s skates up let alone be mentioned in the same sentence (love the “patented defensive elbow” line btw! )
On a seperate note, what does Carlyle know that we don’t everytime the camera pans to him he’s smirking!
(What a pic of Varlamov by the way…he looks like a puppy, so happy…hahaha, with (what I’m assuming is)cream all over him!
Is this officially classed as a rant?…I’m so proud, hehehe!

May 5
C: That's pretty much what I thought too. My friend has been complaining about Rafalski being out since before Game 1, and he has very good reason to be upset, the power play is terrible without him. I don’t think Kronwall on it is the answer either. I’d really like to see Ericsson on the other point opposite Lidstrom because I think he has a better shot than Kronwall even though no one can compare to Rafalski. I guess the problem might be how many minutes Ericsson is already playing because they are pretty much playing with only 5 defensemen now. Chelios only played 7 minutes in Game 2, that is just pathetic. Babcock needs to sit his old ass and call up some youth or put in Meech.
Couldn’t agree with you more about your 3 stools hahaha. I won’t really comment on Hiller because I try not to talk about what the other team is doing wrong until the series is over, except I will say that Pronger is seriously one ugly guy (nearly as ugly as Carlyle with yes.. those trademark smirks). Not to mention his gigantic helmet. For someone who doles out headshots constantly, he seems very concerned about protecting his own head. And Zetterberg… I feel he’s on the verge of being able to have a great series, but he’s not quite there yet. Hossa on the other hand.. wtf? He just can’t seem to deal with the physicality of the Ducks whatsoever. Someone needs to teach that guy how to hit too, his attempts at bodychecking are worse than mine. I don’t really see much hope for his game either in this series so I think Babs needs to switch Zetterberg and Hossa, at least we know Datsyuk and Zetterberg are always great together, and that’s how it was when the beat the Ducks in the regular season.
HAHA I loved that Pang quote, that’s so funny.
I also skimmed that Ericsson article really quick while I was at work, I saw a choice quote from Babcock along the lines of “he’s big like Pronger but without the crosschecks”. HAHA tell it like it is Babcock!
And yes, congrats on your rant!! That was a really good one. Do you feel better now? Varly as we affectionately call him does indeed have cream all over his face. Semin got him with a sneak attack after Game 7. Oh jeez, that sounded so dirty… don’t get all hot and bothered now hahaha
Well I bet the media were shitting themselves over this Game 2 tonight. I don’t want to spoil it for you if you haven’t watched it yet though so I won’t say anything more than that.

May 6
E: I am so behind with hockey at the min! I didn’t even get chance to catch Pens/Caps game on repeat the other night…I have no idea what happened ! I also missed the Wings last night! One things is for sure…my weekend will surely be jam packed of replay and highlight watching. I read your rant by the way…lovely, A+ from me!!!
A very excellent point you make by the way on Prong….why is he sooo concerned with protecting those two brain cells he has??
Varly (though I love saying Vaaarlaaamooovvv!) with Semin creamed all over his face…I’m sure there’s a joke in their somewhere…hahahaha!!
I am worried for Detroit…are you?? I dunno maybe I’m being a little premature in my worrying…or maybe its the fact that you and any other woman could bodycheck Hossa through the boards….he needs to go back to the Brooks Orpik School of Bodychecks and finish ‘Bodychecks 101’!
Apologies for the rushed and incoherent nature of this!


May 7
C:Ahhhhh, I so wish you were up-to-date on all the hockey games. Or do you not care if I ruin the game for you? I guess I don’t really know how you could get on the internet and not see how the games ended up so maybe you do already know. I won’t mention anything though, just in case.
Haha I like that you loved my rant I was just so annoyed by it because I thought it was pretty vicious hit and nothing has become of it. It seems the NHL wants to take a stand sometimes, but then other times they don’t… and since they never have to explain things, then I just wonder if they see something I don’t about it, or if they really just want to screw with us. It’s really pretty frustrating, and everytime I think I’m used to it, I’m not.
Haha anything with Semin’s name in it is potentially a joke. Poor guy… haha. I have to admit, I am getting a little worried for the Wings. They are not playing their game at all, and they can’t seem to figure out a way to get around the Ducks strong forechecking and trapping. Hossa for sure has issues. Even Datsyuk is having problem dancing his way out of corners like he’s used to, and that scares me. And then on top of all of that, the few quality shots they get through, Hiller is on top of his game. It’s incredibly frustrating to watch and seems to be getting worse every game unfortunately. I couldn’t believe all the penalties getting called on the Wings in the last game. Lidstrom for a slash? behind the play??!!! Of course our crappy broadcast didn’t show any of the penalties being committed so I have a theory that most of them were total BS. And that goal that was waived off… holy crap. The camera angle they showed was right above the ref and you could see the puck the entire time as it went through Hiller’s pads and sat in the crease clear to his right all by its lonesome… and somehow the ref didn’t see it. Yet he could see the puck in the pile on top of Osgood back in the first that resulted in a goal somehow. If that ref calls any more playoff games, I’ll be really angry. Anyway, even if the Wings had scored that, who knows if they would have made it through OT alive. I know better than to dwell on it but I can’t help wondering “what if” considering the Wings track record with the Ducks.


May 10
E: My plan didn't quite work out....So I’ve not been at my house for most of the weekend so my plan to indulge in every single game of hockey I missed went out the window…I did watch some though

On the nitty gritty of the Wings…Jesus, what’s with all the injuries! Kopecky down now too…this team needs to stop fighting until they take a crash course or something. Looks like Abdelkader is in…whom I know nothing about. So I did a little research and he looks pretty good, dynamic player and Babs says “he will run the crap out of people”…..so that has to be a good sign!
Franzen is the one person who I will say is getting the job done and elevating himself to the level of his pay! That line is doing an awesome job. Hossa hopefully now has his groove back after two and Datsyuk…yes I agree with what you said…are we back to the old ‘Datsyuk doesn’t do playoff hockey’?? Oh, well…at least it looks like Hiller’s finally been cracked open….that I’m sure won’t last that long…he’ll start this afternoon for sure!
OK, finally fav quote as always….
What is it I find so amusing about this from Ozzie? I’m probably lowering the tone as usual here…

“Last game we were loose and more confident than we have been in any point in the series,” Osgood said. “We weren’t clutching our sticks tight, we were just letting it flow and playing.”

C: Ok, so Wings/Ducks!
I am so annoyed, the game isn’t going to be on national TV today so I have no way of watching it since I don’t live anywhere near Detroit or Anaheim. One of my friends has satellite TV so I’m hoping I can go to his place to watch the game, but I have something to do from 5-6:30 and then might have to take my mom out for mother’s day after… of course all the places I’m going during those times have TV but not satellite
Hahaha Babcock said Abdelkader will run the crap out of people? That’s awesome! I saw him play last year a couple times, he was very good. I figured they might play Leino. Any word on whether Kindl will play in Chelios’ place? That @% fossil has no business being out there!
Yep, the Franzen-Hossa-Filppula line is really getting going! I hope it carries over to the next game, and let’s hope the Eurotwins can get their @% together too, that would give the Wings two very potent scoring lines. I really think Babcock’s line changes had more to do with putting Zett and Dats back together but he got the nice surprise of the Filppula line gelling.
Yay Osgood! I hope the rest of the team is as confident as he is for the game today. Definitely need to come out early and tough against the Ducks tonight. It really does suck about all the injuries.. I really want to know what’s wrong with Rafalski that it’s so bad he can’t even try to play and that somehow 50-year-old Chelios is a better option.


May 11
E: Oh no that’s crappy that you were struggling to see it. I hope you at least caught some of it…I watched the first two periods so can only comment on that. I’ll talk as if you didn’t see any of it (just ignore this if you did). Good game for Detroit, Kindl wasn’t in…weren’t they still worried about his development somewhat…I don’t know maybe I heard wrong, he seems to be having a good season with the Griffs though!
Next, the news we all wanted…Chelios healthy scratch…WOOOOHOOOO! Can’t agree with you enough about that @% fogey…the guy’s going to be in incontinence nappies soon for goodness sake. Meech was in instead! Abdelkader (what a name, eh!) tore it up…9 hits in 6 mins. He didn’t play that many minutes but brought his game when needed!
Does Hossa see the players in front of him? The guy just seems right off with his bodychecks…he’s just bodychecking the boards, hahahah! Franzen on the other hand is still hot, hot, hot…he hit the post a couple of times but then he got the job done eventually! You could in fact have put the “Franzen’s” out there for 20 minutes and they would have out shot the Ducks..awesome skills! I feel bad for Dats though the guy can’t get it past Hiller for love nor money! He was awesome and it was hockey theatre out there for him last night…beautiful dekeing, and a sh*t hot move on the PP where he picked the puck from the back of the net, over the head of Hiller to the other side and still kept control…but didn’t score !!!!
Ericsson with his Crosby moustache was a little riled up, I get the feeling he want’s a good fight again. he needs to watch it, he injures that hand any more and we’re back to Chelios again…aaaggh! He’s been a big part of that team this year, his puck control was good to start with but it’s surely improving playing with the big boys…that long reach is really working to his advantage! I’ll be so pissed if he isn’t a permanent roster spot next season!
You have a good point on the nucks..yeah if Ducks win (which I will cry if they do) then they would probably have a harder time against the Nucks. I am sure, though, Pronger would bring out his dirtiest @% on the Sedin sisters! I have seen Chicago be a little flaky at times…get your point on Huet, of course you wouldn’t want him to go further than the Caps, that would just be a bit of a kick in the teeth!

May12
C: Getzlaf has swine flu??!! My prayers have been answered! let’s hope it spreads like wildfire through the rest of that locker room. We just can’t have any of the Wings getting sneezed on during the game tomorrow.
Haha I will believe you that the Wings are worried about Kindl’s development – they worry about every prospect’s development until they’re within about 5 years of retirement I think
I hear Rafalski may be almost ready to come back. Couldn’t come at a better time!!! Also, I heard McCarty was recalled at the end of the last game. Perhaps the Wings are preparing for what will probably be a very chippy Game 6. Hahaha so Hossa was missing his checks? As long as he doesn’t injure himself, I suppose… at least he tries.. And oh my god, I saw that Datsyuk replay of him popping the puck over the net. That’s why he’s my favorite player in the world, that was so amazing, no one else would dare attempt that in a game!!
I completely agree about Ericsson – he has been so great, I will be astonished if he doesn’t have a roster spot next season. I’m not really sure who will have to sit though is the problem… he may end up having to wait until Lidstrom retires which hopefully won’t be for a long time But maybe he can work on a rotating schedule with Lilja and Lebda as Chelios sort of did this year. If Cheli doesn’t retire after this season… aghhh


May 13
E: Anaheim Smirk Flu! You’re welcome for the shout out by the way! Thanks for the update from last night’s game! I swear to god I nearly wet myself laughing at lunchtime reading that last sentence of yours…“what a psycho!”…hahaha! I read today that they were playing with the passion of a sloth!? Niedermayer has obviously been infected with Pronger’s defensive elbow then…not that I’m surprised!! Also, what the hell is Getzlaf doing, that bag of @%! How dare he go after Mr Hossa, I don’t care if he wanted to hump…there are places you can go to pay for that you know Getz! Why the @% is he going after him after they won…what a weasel! Did perry go after Rafalski too, that is the worst if it’s true what I read, jeopardising his return…words escape me!!!! I hope they completely screw them over tomorrow, I will be hoping the diseased ducks will be brought down, waaaaay @% down! Oh, and when did Ericsson hurt his foot and have to be x-rayed? How did I miss that one, hand first, then foot, what next…! I see Chelios hobbling over the horizon with his walking frame!!!

Quote of the Day:
“I hope Anaheim is so caught of guard by the wings immense talent that they immediately srart rubbing the bald spot on top of Getzlaf’s head. They’re left with no options, it’s their only form of luck. It would be amazing if Detroit just dominates them from start to finish. And when it’s done I want Pronger looking up at the score board feeling his one brain cell finally giving out as he tries to add it all up and realise the Ducks lose! And better yet, would be for the wings to score so many goals that he’s simply incapable of adding that high and grabs Perry to use his toes to count.”

Guess who? Stolen Artwork…made my own improvements!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Picture and Caption of the day….the results of my internet search over lunch!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Alright Hudler, you’re what 5’8” with skates on…..exactly the kind of even match up I’m looking for. Didn’t you hear I’m a @% leader of this team and me and my manscaped love patch are going to show everyone what a badass I am by kicking your little ass. That damn Swede, Zetterberg didn’t back down as Carlyle promised, and I don’t see that @% jolly green giant Ericsson anywhere, so I’m coming for you Happy. Bring it @%, just watch my face, it’s my money maker…

13 comments:

  1. hahaha yayy!!! I love it! I didn't realize we had written so much on this topic until you put it all together. I hope someone else gets a laugh out of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you like Pronger or not? Stop beating around the bush.

    May I suggest a "Cheli Watch" feature as a minor improvement to your ramblings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er, I think it's fairly obvious that Pronger is the devil, no? "Cheli Watch"...yeah Christy can vouch for us here..."Cheli Watch" was OUR idea...only we didn't name it! Have you bugged my laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah oh yes, we definitely invented Cheli Watch, just didn't have a name for it yet. I actually have an update on that, I just spotted him squeezing a tube of Bengay into Lidstrom's coffee. Aghh... looks like he still won't be ready to go tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. .....and there you go, the inventors of Cheli Watch strictly forbid you from using that term again with regard to Cheli's minutes on the ice.Hahahaha! I think I still have that convo somewhere in my history actually should we need more proof in court!

    Oh no!!! I think Dats is still out too! On the plus side Huet is starting by the looks of it so it should be another epic fail for those pesky Blackhawks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just noticed that your title claims that we "do" the Ducks and Wings. If I have a do a Duck, I get dibs on Hiller.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Googling "Cheli Watch" seems to suggest that some Bollywood enterprise got there before any of us.

    And something wrong with bugging your laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, deal Hiller is yours! Am I understanding "do" in the right way??

    Ok, said Bollywood enterprise owns the phrase, but do they own Cheli Check..."I'm just Cheli Checking..." Mmmm, has a nice ring to it!
    *Takes laptop apart and looks for bugs* Ah, yes I see what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha hmm I think you are understanding "do" in the right way... here's the real test, which Duck will you be claiming? Actually, I'm not sure if there's another acceptable answer... :-D
    Cheli Checking? Does this involve Depends?

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Looks up "Depends"* Ah, I see...hahaha it could well do!! But we'll leave that sort of checking to his personal nurse, yes? Do a Duck, hmmmm which to "claim...you are right there aren't many!! Ok, so if I was forced into a corner then Ryan Whitney, purely so I could drop in the gentle Pronger warning, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha alright I suppose that is about as acceptable as it gets. The other acceptable answer would be Parros because his porn stache suggests he knows what he's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, oh CC that made me laugh so much...I swear if I was ever near to Parros I would not be able to stop laughing..."Well hello Mr Parros...what a big.....er, moustache you have!"

    ReplyDelete